Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How long should you wear compression stockings after surgery?
07-09-2011, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2011 12:31 AM by Shad Scocca.)
How long should you wear compression stockings after surgery?
My partner had a microdiscectomy on Friday - he is able to get up and stand and walk about for short periods of time. The hospital said that he should keep the compression stockings on for two days afterwards - could he keep them on for longer, will it do any harm if he does? Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2011, 02:16 AM
RE: How long should you wear compression stockings after surgery?
Hi,
Most likely he was given TED Stockings (Thrombo Embolitic Deterrent) and not compression stockings. TED Stockings are similar, but they are usually one straight compression rather than graduated compression. TEDs are great for reducing the chance of clotting after surgery (which is why hospitals make patients wear them in the recovery room. However, once he's fully able to move around, the effectiveness of TEDS is reduced dramatically. I heard it stated this way.... "TEDS are for BEDS" (bed ridden patients).
Graduated medical compression socks or stockings have the heaviest compression at the ankle and progressively reduct as they go up the leg. This improves circulation and so there usually isnt a reason that shomeone should stop wearing them - they'll help circulation forever. That said, his doc would likely easily comfirm this.
Good luck!!
Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenny718's post:
forum_admin
01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
I think he should do what doctor had said because it is very necessary to wear compression stokings after surgery. So always be careful about it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
(07-11-2011 02:16 AM)Jenny718 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hi,
Most likely he was given TED Stockings (Thrombo Embolitic Deterrent) and not compression stockings. TED Stockings are similar, but they are usually one straight compression rather than graduated compression. TEDs are great for reducing the chance of clotting after surgery (which is why hospitals make patients wear them in the recovery room.

Jenny, you're absolutely right. I also guess about this. Although some therapist suggest compression stockings along TED embolism stocking rarely for post-microdiscectomy. Further consultation is good here. Due to same problem I faced; I got cured recently. By the way, I found a compression stocking seller You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. which price & shipping is great. I bought some compression stockings and Embolism stockings from them. I think it helps.